Political Science Teaching Assistant
The Political Science Department solicits law students to be T.A.s through e-mail. Consider applying for classes related to international law.
Immigration Law is a prerequisite for both Clinics, but it may also be taken concurrently. This does not fulfill the upper-level ethics requirement.
Summer internships are one of the best way to get direct international experience. Brainstorm what type of international career you want and try to find something that will help you work towards that goal.
Summer International Programs
NDLS offers a summer in London program. Other universities and law schools offer summer programs specializing in international law ranging from Argentina to Vatican City.
You may qualify for a language grant through the Center for Study of Languages and Cultures.
Also consider getting field experience through the Center for Social Concern’s International Summer Service Learning Program.
Funding for research is also compiled by the Graduate School.
Law Firms with International Offices: Check with CSO on how to search Martin-Dale Hubbard and Lexis. Be sure to ask during interviews about work in overseas offices
If you are an ND law student, CSO has a password protected link to federal government career and internships positions
- State Department
- Central Intelligence Agency
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Trade and Development Agency
- Export-Import Bank of the United States
- Federal Maritime Commission
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- U.S. International Trade Commission
- U.S. Judge Advocate General (JAG): ask Michael Hom in the CSO about this.
- U.S. Federal Job Locator
- Inter-American Foundation: promotes social change for Latin America and the Caribbean
- African Development Foundation
- Peace Corps
- United Nations Volunteers
- United Nations — Job Opportunities
- U.S. State Department: this site posts United Nations employment opportunities
- Organization of American States and its Opportunities & Jobs
- World Bank Group
- International Monetary Fund and its Summer Internship Program
- ABA’s Central European & Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI)
- ABA Rule of Law Initiative
- International Bridges to Justice
- International Justice Mission
- CEELI Fellows Program
- Center for Justice and International Law (CEJIL) and its Employment Opportunities
Human Rights NGOs
- American Coalition for the International Criminal Court
- AMICC Member Organizations
- Amnesty International
- Center for International Human Rights Law
- Rights International Internship Program
- Human Rights Watch
- Human Rights First: formerly “Lawyers’ Committee for Human Rights”
- Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights
- Human Rights Job Board
- International Human Rights Online
- One World Jobs
- Women’s Commission for Refugee Women and Children and its Employment listing
- Center for Reproductive Rights Worldwide
- Feminist Career Center
- Center for International Environmental Law
- Earth Rights International
- EarthJustice: includes fellowships
- Environmental Internships Posted by State
- Humanitarian Vacancies
- Center for Civil Society International
Private Sector Businesses and Banks
Search Engines and Job Posting Websites
- PSLawNet: one of the most popular public interest law websites. Login information is available from CSO.
- NALP: Login information is available from CSO.
- ASIL Career Guide
- Idealist.org: if you register under “My Idealist” you can search for specific types of jobs, in specific countries and receive regular email updates listing new job opportunities
- NonProfit Oyster
- Non-Profit Career Network
Listservs: a wonderful way to stay abreast of current events. Jobs may also be announced first through listservs.
- Idealist.org: create your own “My Idealist” account. Customize email updates and how often you receive them
- Derechos’ Human Rights Mailing Lists: lists various Human Rights listservs and directions on how to subscribe— Including listservs in Spanish.
Notre Dame Law School
Other Law Schools with Great Resources
Duke University: lists organizations alphabetically and includes Subject, Country and International Affiliation—Direct links to the Orgs
Harvard Law School
- Library’s Foreign and International Law Resources
- Public Interest Links—Including International Public Interest
- International Public Interest Job Search
University of Minnesota
- Human Rights Library
- Human Rights Links: includes Documents, International Organizations & NGOs, Specific Topics of Interest, and Regional links.
- Human Rights Resource Center (Job Opportunities)